The search for Gabrielle Swainson continues.
Despite an extensive search earlier this week, Patch has learned that cadaver dogs and FBI search dogs turned up nothing on Freddie Grant's Elgin properties. Grant has been charged with a federal weapons charge and the kidnapping of Gabbiee Swainson.
So Sheriff Leon Lott this morning turned again to the public for help.
In a press conference from the Richland County Sheriff's Office this morning, Lott said the investigation continues on two fronts: searching for Gabbiee and building a case against Freddie Grant, the 52-year-old man who deputies have charged with kidnapping in the case.
Lott said investigators are asking for two things: prayer and tips.
"Pray — pray for Gabbie's return," Lott said.
Deputies released a photo of pajamas similar to the ones Gabbiee was believed to have been wearing. They are hoping someone has seen those and it might lead to discovering where Gabbiee may be (photo attached).
Grant was driving a 1992 light blue Ford Escort, and deputies would like anyone who saw the car between Friday night and Saturday morning (Aug. 17-18) to call the Sheriff's Office or CrimeStoppers at 888-CRIME-SC.
"We don't need a hero. We just need to find Gabbiee," he said. "We continue to operate that Gabbiee is alive and well, and we just need to find her."
Lott said Grant "holds the key" and "can stop the tears in Gabbiee mother's eyes and the pain in her heart. He holds the keys to that."
But Grant has not been interrogated. He immediately asked to speak to his attorney, a Richland County public defender, and deputies have been unable to ask him any questions.
The "sickest" part of the case, Lott said, was that Grant took part in the search for Gabbiee.
Lott said Grant, who he described as a "monster," is a suspect in another Elgin missing person case as well as a homicide in Kershaw County murder.
- Sheriff: Family Friend Arrested in Missing Gabrielle Swainson Case
- Photos: FBI, Sheriff's Deputies Search for Gabbiee Swainson
- Reward Offered in Missing Gabrielle Swainson Case
- Foul Play Suspected in Gabrielle Swainson Disappearance
- Day 10: Prayer Vigil Set for Gabrielle Swainson
- Day 12: Candlelight Vigil Set for Gabrielle Swainson
- Follow the Tweets in the Search for Gabrielle Swainson
- Gabrielle Swainson Update: New Search Party, Download the Flyer
- Search Party Information: Where to Look for Gabrielle Swainson
- Prayer Vigil, Search Party, Fund Set To Aid Gabrielle Swainson Recovery
- 5 Days Missing: Search for Gabrielle Swainson Moves to Broad River Road
- Superintendent Still Hopeful for Swainson's Return
- Principal: Swainson is a 'Great Kid, Great Student'