Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Scheduled to Leave Hospital
Aimee Copeland, a 24-year-old who picked up the "flesh-eating disease" after a zip line accident, is schedule to leave the hospital Monday.
Copeland's father, Andy Copeland, told CNN that his daughter will enter a rehab facility before returning home.
"She's real excited," Copeland told CNN's Erin Burnett. "She's been seeing those four walls inside that hospital for a long time."
Doctors amputated most of Aimee's hands, one of her legs and one of her feet to stop the infection. She's also had multiple skin grafts. She now has to learn how to perform everyday tasks without hands and feet, Andy Copeland told CNN.
Andy Copeland, a native of Spartanburg, posted on his blog last week that his daughter was improving and was able to spend some time outdoors at the hospital.
Aimee's ordeal started May 1 when she cut her leg severely after falling from a homemade zip line. She picked up a typically fatal bacterium from the water that eats away at the skin. The infection caused a condition called "necrotizing faciitis," more widely known as "flesh-eating disease."
Andy Copeland started a website and blog for his daughter after the incident where he posts updates on her condition, photos and information about donations and blood drives.
One blood drive in honor of Aimee was held at the University of South Carolina in June as part of "Border Bash," a blood drive competition between USC, where Copeland graduated in 1983, and the University of Georgia, where Aimee attended school as an undergraduate.